Feathered Friends Forever has varied and rewarding opportunities and we warmly welcome all potential volunteers to visit the rescue, meet the staff and find an opportunity to help out.This is an ideal opportunity for student projects.
Get plenty of outdoor exercise.
Great resume builder!
For those with community service hours, working with the birds can be time well spent.
The Rescue can always use your help, even if it's just for a day. This is an ideal place for students who want a job working with animals to get valuable experience. Adults can get away from that TV and spend the day outside. If you have a green thumb, there are always plenty of plants and trees that need to get planted. Even home school students have an opportunity to add something different to their studies.
Click the link in the column on the right for the Volunteer Application and apply today!
Here are examples of volunteer opportunities at the Rescue in Harlem, Georgia along with some that can be done from home:
- Administration - Assisting with general administration and clerical duties. This can include record keeping, finances, etc.
- Animal Care - Feeding, watering, passing out treats and toys for birds, cleaning cages and surrounding areas, and spending time with birds.
- Fundraising, our most important mission! - Developing and assisting with fundraising efforts including events, securing donations (financial, media coverage, building materials, etc.)and other support.
- Groundskeeping - Great way to get your exercise while landscaping, gardening and improving the park.
- Helping from Home - You can assist FFF from home in many ways, including fundraising, internet awareness, publicity, etc.
- Maintenance/Construction - There is always plenty to do with general maintenance and construction of new flights and other improvements Great way for your apprentices to develop work skills.
- Outreach - Organizing and assisting with promotional efforts to increase awareness of FFF and the plight of tropical parrots.
- Special Events - Set up and participate in Special Events both at FFF and off site. In 2008 we did the Columbia County Fair which was a great success.
- Transportation - Sometimes our birds or products need a lift to the rescue or other location. Must have valid driver’s license.
- Work Weekends - Participate in our weekly Work Weekends program and lend a hand with such things as cleaning flights, planting, setting up new flights, weed whacking, cutting grass and raking.
- Youth Program - Assisting with food, water, treats and toys for birds, cleaning cages, and outdoor work. Must be 14-17 years of age and accompanied by parent/mentor over 18.
- Special Skills - Assisting FFF with your special skills, such as vehicle maintenance, painting, etc.
FFF has the following requirements in place in order to enjoy a rewarding volunteer experience:
- You should be at least 14 years old. Other ages by consent of the Feathered Friends staff. Those under 18 must have application co-signed by a parent and ages 14-17 must be accompanied by a parent or adult volunteer at all times.
- You should be willing to make a minimum commitment of at least one day a week for four hours.
- We can always use Volunteers in many positions.
- Fill out and submit your signed application.
- Understand and adhere to all FFF policies and procedures. These are for your safety and the safety of the birds and other volunteers.
- Remember that Volunteers, like the Staff, work here for the love of the birds. There is no pay or other financial incentives. However, volunteer work is excellent on your resume and can provide a great foundation for your future endeavors.
Effective January 1st, 2011
All new volunteers must have a signed application on file with Feathered Friends.
- It must show your name, complete address, phone numbers (home & cell) and email address.
- Include at least one additional contact name and phone number. This can be parents or relatives.
- Feathered Friends reserves the right to press criminal charges against anyone submitting false documenation.
Thanks To Our Volunteers!!
We could not take care of more than 600 birds without the dedication of our Volunteers. Since there are no paychecks for anyone at Feathered Friends Forever, these fine people work for the love of the birds and maybe an occasional meal!
These are just some of our past volunteers who helped at Feathered Friends: